Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Idiot Light

Everyone knows what it is just by saying the "Idiot Light". It glares at you in amber or red. How dare it look at me. I've done everything I am suppose to do. I go every 3000 miles for the oil change, sometimes that takes 6 months to get there but it is never over the 3000 miles. I put gas in. I check the tires. I even try to keep the inside sitting area tidey and smelling nice. We will not talk about the trunk. So why does this thing look at me? A man Steve works with with put some doohicky machine on the car he said something about the gas cap. He made the "Idiot Light" go off. How nice of him. So now as for the gas cap I figure the man putting gas in the car didn't put the cap on right and that now all will be fine. What a joke that idea was. Not even a month later the stupid "Idiot Light" is back on. Me being extremely smart took off the gas cap and then put it back on convinced that the light would go off. Not a chance. So when I took it off again I even poked the little flapper open and let some air in. Still the "Idiot Light" is on. I have had it. I am just going to ignore it. That is what I hear others do so why not me. Oh but that horrible inspection time is coming. Crap! I still have the "Idiot Light" on. Okay Steve gets a
doohicky machine. He checks it. It says gas cap problems again. "Dawn did you get a new gas cap?" " No Steve I didn't." "Why not? Isn't that what you were told to do?" "No the guy said it was the gas cap, I figured he fixed it." Steve buys a new gas cap, resets the car with the doohicky machine, puts the new gas cap on, and tells me that I have to drive 100-200 miles. So anyway the "Idiot Light" is off. I drove 40 miles today. The other 60 to 160 will have to wait until pay day so I can get more gas to drive all those miles. Now, where to go?

2 comments:

k^squared said...

The Explorer pass inspection very time but once and it was because the gas cap was too old. When it gets old the seal starts to wear and fumes are exposed to the air. Dad told me to get a new one. Easy fix.

Dawn's Thoughts said...

New gas cap is on, drove 40 miles, started the stupid car and the "Idiot Light" is back on!!