Sunday, February 28, 2010

Preparation

This is the month to prepare. For what you say? For everything! To begin with it is March Madness. If you are at our school in the fourth grade you are well aware of what it is. Teams the children have formed in their classrooms and their class itself. A point system will be in effect and the more points the better. They earn them by doing their work, acting/behaving correctly, getting along, etc. The prize, a trip to a indoor play area. Are they excited? Oh yes. The reason for all of the this, the TEST! the scarey TEST.  How do I feel about bribing kids to learn so that the school/teacher/district looks good? I don't like it one bit! In the first place we shouldn't have to bribe the students to act/behave/study. That should be a natural. Unfortunately if you work with children today, of any age, you will discover that more often than not the disrespect is high in volumn. How does that change. It certainly can't in one month, or can it? Will something jump out and bite these children and make them change?
Preparation is also for the garden. I didn't have one last year as the lovely Jersey destroys all that I put out. This year I will have one, out front at least. She is being kept in the backyard. I missed my flowers last year and for my own state of mind must have them. I enjoy the colors and the fragrance.
Preparation also for a healthier me and Steve. Changing menu's and walking. At least I will be walking as much as possible. Steve's knee doesn't allow that but just maybe I can get him to try.
Preparation for doing something with this kitchen!!! I am taking the summer off, the first time in 16 years. I am really hoping that by September this ugly disaster of a kitchen will be something to be proud of.
Preparation for ...

No comments: