Thursday, November 30, 2006

Charles

At school today during breakfast duty a young man, a 4th grader, came to check on his sister. He was so sweet and caring to her. I commented on how wonderful a big brother he was. I told him that when she gets older she will always remember how he cared for her. I don't know why but I spoke of my brother that passed years ago. I miss him terribly every day. The boy walked off and ate his breakfast with his friend. I felt foolish as I was brought to tears by what had happened and my remembrance of my brother. A little while later the boy came back, made sure his sister was taking care of her trash and getting her set for her day. I told the boy while putting out my hand, "Hi, my name is Mrs. Dreher", he took my hand and said "Hi, my name is Charles", the hairs on my arms stood straight and I had chills. I explained to Charles that he had my brothers name. We wished each other a good day and off he went. Of course more tears came, but also a warmth. I know my new friend and I will always keep in touch, I don't know how I know this, I just do. Thank you Charles, my new friend, and thank you Charles, my brother. I do miss you.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That's really sweet. It's always a good thing to be kind to others. What a coincidence that his name was Charles!